|home | the department | faculty & staff | classes | students | alumni &friends|
|UL Lafayette Rock tour
|By Elisabeth Hamlin
Mr. Lether Edward Frazar, who was president of UL (then called Southwestern Louisiana Institute), oversaw the construction of many of the campus buildings, including Broussard Hall. The building was named for Robert F. Broussard, who served nine consecutive terms in the U.S. House of Representatives and one term as a U.S. senator. It was completed in 1940 for use as the physics building.
|Directions: Broussard Hall is located at the corner of St. Mary Blvd. and Hebrard Blvd. (next to Lee Hall). These are photos of the limestone walls that are located in the women's facilities in Broussard Hall.|
|click for closeup of limestone|
The rock consists of gray-pinkish limestone (brachiopod biosparite) with abundant styolites and layers of brachiopod shells. Limestone is composed mainly of calcite and forms mostly in a marine environments. Stylolites are diagenetic features caused by dissolution usually parallel to bedding. Brachiopods, which were most abundant in the early- to mid- Paleozoic Era, however, occour throughout the entire Phanerozoic.
Document last revised Saturday, June 25, 2005 2:13 PM
© Copyright 2003 by the University of Louisiana at Lafayette
Geology Department, P.O. Box 44530, Lafayette LA 70504
Madison Hall, Room 224-B· E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org